2018 will be a historic year for Terra Alta wine region, because it will host the international competition "Grenaches du Monde". This competition was born in French lands in 2013 but each year takes place in different wine region. This year it will take places during 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th of April and it is expected to exceed 800 wines sample from Spain, France, Italy, South Africa, Australia, Macedonia, Canada, Lebanon, Greece, etc.
The previous editions were held in Sardinia 2017 where Terra Alta won 17 medals which 11 were gold, Aragon 2016 where Terra Alta won 12 medals, Perpignan 2015 and 2014 with 8 and 5 medals for Terra Alta.
One of the peculiarities of the contest is focused on varietal wines of Grenache that is with more than 51% of this variety. It is the most harvested Mediterranean variety in the world and Terra Alta is known precisely because of its high concentration of White Grenache with more than 1,200 hectares planted and it is said that it owns more than 30% of world's Grenache production.
Taking advantage of the announcement of the international competition in Terra Alta, we invite you to taste different wines of Grenache through activities where you can learn about Mediterranean interior landscape, its cuisine and its main tourist attractions through a plenty of activities that we are preparing:
- Iberians in Terra Alta, in this activity we will visit the Iberian settlement and the necropolis of the Iberian site of El Coll del Moro, in the city of Gandesa, and we will end up with a wine tasting. € 15 per person.
- Wine tasting of Grenaches, taking advantage of the competition, we will focus on these varieties, both white, red, Peluda, etc. € 15 per person.
- The paths of the Battle of the Ebro, an excursion where we will discover the most emblematic corners of the Serra de Pàndols i Cavalls, with wine tasting included. € 20 per person.
- Calçotada, you will enjoy a wine tasting and a meal accompanied by typical calçots and a variety of meat. € 25 per person.
- BTT Tour: The landscape of White Grenache, in this activity you will enjoy the Green Way of Terra Alta with a final wine tasting in Fontcalda. € 30 per person (includes material renting, transport and wine tasting).
- Wine tours, each route consists on visiting and tasting two wineries in DO Terra Alta (bookings depending on the availability). € 15 per person.
More activities by clicking on: Routes and wine tourism in Terra Alta.
*Photo: La Casa dels Abeuradors